Sutton Council and Volunteer Centre Sutton are joining forces for Sutton Spring Clean 2022 - a huge community effort to get the borough looking its best for the summer.
The council is doing more than ever to keep the borough’s parks and streets clean including: awareness and education campaigns; a new team of enforcement officers; new ‘smart’ litter bins that send alerts when they need emptying; improvements to the council website to report street cleaning problems; and last, but not least, a hard-working team of street cleaners who collect around 10 tonnes of litter every day.
Despite all of this, litter remains an issue in some parts of the borough. The council will continue to work hard to keep the borough looking its best, but is also asking residents to lend a helping hand: A recent survey of local residents revealed that 80% think that keeping the borough clean and tidy is shared responsibility between the council and local people.
Sutton Spring Clean is a new campaign that will run from 28 February - 10 April 2022. It will provide an opportunity to:
- say ‘thank you’ to all the people who volunteer their time to take part in litter picks throughout the year; either as part of an organised group effort or something more informal
- raise awareness of everything the council is doing to keep streets clean
- encourage people who’ve never volunteered their time to litter-pick to give it a go
- direct people to the Keep Britain Tidy website where they can make a pledge to ‘fill a bag’ with litter during the national Great British Spring Clean (25 March - 10 April 2022)
- tell people how they can get hold of a free litter-pick pack from the council, including gloves, litter picker, branded bags, high viz vest and information leaflet
As part of the Sutton Spring Clean campaign, the council plans to hold six pop-up roadshow events (one in each Local Committee area) to help spread the word. Schools across the borough will also be encouraged to get involved.
Volunteers of Sutton - we need your help!
The council is keen to involve the local voluntary sector in planning Sutton Spring Clean 2022 and making it a success. A workshop is being planned in the next few weeks to discuss ideas and to give feedback to senior council officers on the best way to get local volunteers involved (keep an eye on your email for date and location details).
In the meantime, the Council is developing a simple logo for the Sutton Spring Clean campaign and is keen to get feedback on some initial design options. To have your say, please view the logos and provide your feedback using the following online form: Sutton Spring Clean logo survey. The deadline for voting is midnight this Sunday (13 February).
Thank you - we look forward to working with volunteers across the borough to make Sutton Spring Clean 2022 a great success!